Get outside – Whitewater events back in full swing at U.S. National Whitewater Center
The U.S. National Whitewater Center has contracted with several water purification and monitoring companies to ensure the best filtration and sanitation of the whitewater at its facility going forward. This is great news as for the last couple of months, the visitor count to the center has been much lower than normal.
- Whitewater activities: enjoy the rafting either from the raft itself or from the shore. The best way to take it all in as a spectator is at the River Jam events which take place each Thursday and Saturday evenings from 7-10pm. For only a $5 parking fee, you can enjoy live music while watching the adventurous kayakers and guests on the whitewater. There is also a wide variety of craft beer and food for purchase.
- The center is always a great place to visit on holidays as there are lots of activities in which to participate or spectate followed up by a beautiful fireworks display. This Labor Day, 9/5, the Labor Day Celebration kicks off with 5k and 15k trail races in the morning, followed by free live music and fun until the free fireworks display when the sun goes down. http://usnwc.org/relax/festivals/labor-day-celebration/
- The summer yoga series is going on now through the end of September. Just bring your own yoga mat and join classes on Thursdays before RiverJam at 6:30 pm through September 22nd and Saturday mornings at 9:30 through September 24th. Classes are free with $5 parking fee.
- Land sports – including Ziplines, ropes courses, canopy tour, rock climbing and mountain biking. The mountain biking trails are free of charge if you bring your own bike and you can hike or run the trails for free as well, but with the purchase of the land sport package, you can use one of the whitewater center’s bikes and helmets to ride the trails. The ropes courses are a fun outing with friends or as a team building experience and the ziplines are just plain old fun! There are now 3 ziplines in the park, with the most recent one bringing you from Hawk Island and back while completing a 7 platform ropes course in between. The canopy tour – available for a separate fee and by reservation only. Participants are guided through the tree canopy traveling from platform to platform on a series of zips, sky bridges, cargo net climbs, rappels and other high adventure challenges.
- Flatwater activities – On the Catawba River, you have the option to try Stand Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking or tandem kayaking.
- Watch a movie under the stars with the Whitewater film series running every Friday evening from September 2nd through October 28th. Estimated start time will be around 7:30 initially and will change based on the sunset time for that day. The films are free with your purchase of a $5 parking pass.
The next phase of development includes a Deep Water Solo Climbing Facility, which will include several climbing walls where climbers can jump or fall into a 16’ pool below. If you visit the center, you can see the construction in progress and it looks like it’s going to be a blast.
All activities are available through the purchase of passes and are available for a single activity, all activities, or all activities except whitewater activities. Visit www.usnwc.org for more details and price options.